cookie

Friday, December 28, 2012

Ramen series: Noodle soup at the mall: a review of Su&Shi at Dine on 3 Yorkdale


House Tom Yum Ramen

One of the braver things I have done was to go to the mall close to Christmas. I do not say “bravest” as that is reserved for actually going to the mall on Christmas eve or on Boxing day—which I have not yet done. Attempting to go to Eaton Centre or Yorkdale mall at a time when these places are just bursting at the seams with people is not for the faint of heart.
Anyway, we recently went to Yorkdale to check out the new Microsoft store and the newly-relocated, store-square-footage-multiplied Apple store. But Hubby has a rule--never shop on an empty stomach. So we decided to first have lunch at Su&Shi.
This noodle bar was a good choice for that cold, December day. I ordered the House Tom Yum Ramen and hubby got House Chili Ramen. The kids, meanwhile, shared a Chicken Ramen. I was warned by our server that the Tom Yum was really spicy, but I wanted to give it a try. He was right, though I had no regrets whatsoever. The ramen was well-cooked, with just the perfect bite. The Tom Yum soup did lead to some sniffling, but it was good! DD#1 gave it a try, and proudly said that she could handle it. The first spoonful went down well and she said it was delicious. The succeeding ones, however, were promptly followed by a gulp of water. She stuck to her Chicken Ramen after the fifth gulp of water or so. My dish also had ample servings of meat—pork, chicken and tempura shrimp. It seemed like such a big bowl that I thought I wouldn’t be able to finish it. But I figured I had to be well-nourished for the shopping up ahead. So, finish it, I did! The Chicken Ramen and House Chili Ramen were also okay. The broth was tasty and the noodles were great.

Chicken Ramen

House Chili Ramen
Su&Shi has other dishes you can try out like sushi (of course!) as well rice dishes. Their House fried rice is tasty and filling. Each dish costs about $10-11, which is not exactly the cheapest of noodle soups. But you are paying for presentation, some ambience, and an alternative to burgers at the food court.

House Fried Rice
There are still other places to try at Dine on 3 at Yorkdale, but it is good to know that when we feel like having some ramen (or try out other dishes), Su&Shi is there. Service is also fast so you can get down to shopping as soon as you’ve fueled up!

No comments:

Post a Comment